The Workforce Development Institute, Inc. (WDI), a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization is seeking a Finance Assistant to join our finance department in downtown Albany. The primary responsibility of the Finance Assistant is to assist with accounts payable processing ensuring timeliness and accuracy of information and using this information, along with internal databases to create and update excel spreadsheets. The ideal candidate will be extremely detail oriented, possess strong organization skills, be able to communicate well with vendors and employees and have knowledge of basic accounting principles. The ideal candidate should also be comfortable working in a small, quiet office environment.
Duties and Responsibilities Include:
• Managing accounts payable lifecycle from invoice cover sheet preparation, distribution of costs, printing of checks, to check signing and mailing
• Mail opening, coding and distribution
• Answering vendor telephone and email inquiries
• Negotiating disputes with vendors for inaccurate invoices
• Building and maintaining various excel spreadsheets
• Reviewing and paying all employee travel expense reports
• Preparing grant vouchers for NYS Department of Labor contracts
• Entering check data into WDI’s Grants Management database
• Monthly reconciliation of bank accounts
• Annual preparation of 1099’s for all consultants and sub-contractors and accompanying reports in a timely manner
• Assisting in annual audit
• Ad hoc reporting and other AP tasks as assigned
• Supporting Finance Director and Chief Financial Officer as needed
We are an organization that hires by demonstrated skills and experience regardless of how you attained them. Those we have hired for this position have brought a diversity of backgrounds, skills and educational levels, enriching our team and our work.
• Associates degree or higher preferred
• Business/Accounting courses preferred
• 2-3 years of related financial/office experience required
• Demonstrated ability to communicate both verbally and in writing
• Demonstrated excellence in use of Microsoft Excel and Word; experience with PowerPoint is a plus
• Demonstrated understanding of accounting processes and procedures
• Demonstrated success working independently and as part of a team
• Strong attention to detail and excellent follow through is a must in this role
This is a full-time position (35 hours) with a generous benefit package that includes medical, dental, vision, Life, STD and LTD and 403(b). Parking is provided.
Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com by August 6th. We appreciate your interest in this position, however, only those who will be interviewed will be contacted. We expect to start interviewing beginning mid-August. WDI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.